Join Lucas, Jo, and Chip as they review the games we played during the month of September! They additionally take a look at some of our favorite games that just don’t get enough table time. We’ll also take a look at our progress on the Shelf of Shame Challenge!
Know yourself, infinity and beyond, pulling strings, and spending caps…
- The Master’s Trials: AEG today has given us an look under the hood for their upcoming game The Master’s Trials! This update covers the major parts that make up your individual martial arts master which consists of a Class, Order, and Weapon. Currently there looks to be four of each of those and each grants access to their specific cards which you shuffle together to form your play deck. As last time The Master’s Trails will be available for sale in November as well as a pre-release during Spiel Essen in October.
- First Martians: Portal Games has a US release report on their new title First Martians and it looks like the landing was successful! One small step! The folks at Portal also give a heads up on new content that is coming as well as a hearty thanks to everyone that made this launch a win.
- Illuminati: Illuminati has been around for a long, long, looooong time and Steve Jackson has decided that it was time for an update to the…or I should say of the game. So that’s what is happening! SJG has given a small look at what will change with the game getting it ready for a (hopefully) 2018 relaunch. Jackson informs that as the game is in part based on how the real world is turning that several groups in the game were essentially obsolete and thus removed and/or reshaped. Will be interesting to see this in its new form in its final version. Those of you who can’t wait, however, can join the playtest here!
- Fallout: Wasteland Warfare: More happy news over the wasteland radio! Pre-orders are now available and if you order over £120 you will receive a Special Event Miniature the Nuka Cola Girl along with here associated play cards! Time to go count the ways I’m getting in trouble with the wife today!
Hello all and welcome yet again to another installment of Around The Table! This week we have for you a website that I have had bookmarked for a few years now as they have one of the most extensive offerings of miniatures bases that I have seen. The bases aren’t just for war gaming my friends. You can use them easily with your favorite miniatures based board games if the miniatures are of the correct size.Their signature product is their Tablescapes™ line which consists of injection molded 1′ x 1′ plastic tiles with surfaces shaped into various types of terrain. Their system allows you to link these tiles together to create “your” battlefield. Secret Weapon Miniatures is a site that should not be kept secret as with a little time spent reviewing their bases to find the right aesthetic match you will greatly increase the fidelity and value of your game night pursuits!
Surviving the wastes, mini pathfinding, warring the wastes, and inquiring fangs…
- Fallout: The apocalypse will be coming soon to a FLGS near youe and the folks at FFG thought it would be nice to help your prepare! A new survival guide is up showing you six ways to increase your chances of coming out on top in caps, and out smarting raiders and super mutants. Still no eta on the game however you can pre-order your copy via FFG’s site or your FLGS.
- Pathfinder: Paizo continues its efforts to help with your back issues by miniaturizing a few more of its books. Pocket Editions of the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Bestiary 2 as well as the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Ultimate Equipment are joining the fray! These lighter tomes possess all the same information for game play as their larger editions so no worries about missing out on key information. You can purchase both of these now.
- Fallout: Wasteland Warfare: The guys at Modiphius have recently released a couple of videos (with more to come) of the game play. Really enjoy the different special dice used for play as well as the V.A.T.S. system being incorporated for Heroic characters. So ready for this game!
- Blood Bound: FFG’s upcoming game Blood Bound is all about vampire social intrigue. Today we get a look at the Inquisitor which is a clan less character bent on seeking out the truths of the Blood Bound world, even if said truths are lies. They have no allies except that of the Secret Order which, based on the theme I wouldn’t put much stock in. You can pre-order Blood Bound at your FLGS or from the FFG e-store.
Phases of strategy, Holmes in digital, Cool releases, continuing the path, and Portal prizing…
- Twilight Imperium Fourth Edition: Looking forward to the new version? Fantasy Flight Games knows you are craving bits of information to chew on and has thus plated for you a look at the Strategy Phase of the upcoming Twilight Imperium Fourth Edition! Sit down with your favorite beverage and dig into the Strategy Cards and begin weighing if your primary usage is worth giving your opponents the secondary. Decisions, decisions!
- Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: The folks at Space Cowboys have just advised that the Companion App for Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective is now live and available on the Google Play store. Unfortunately there is still a bit of a wait before you will find an iOS version though one is on the way. Go, download, solve crimes!
- Cool Mini or Not: Just another friendly reminder of the new games releasing today. Your FLGS awaits your arrival.
- Pathfinder: The newest path for the Ruins of Azlant Adventure Path is now available! The Flooded Cathedral is for characters of 7th level and continues the party’s search for the missing colonists on a nearby island. Oh, and there’s this bit about a dead god that may have something to do with it all. You can find a copy at your FLGS or favorite e-store and the PDF version will be live starting October 18th.
- Portal Games: If you like contests and are heading to Speil 2017, Portal has something nice for you. They are running a trivia contest for which you will receive two entries for every question you answer correctly. Grand Prize (1) is a copy of First Martians and the runners up (2) will receive a copy of Alien Artifacts. Its free to enter and your trip to Spiel 2017 may end up just that much more win!
“My sons! [sighs] My sons, if you are to become true ninja, you must work harder. Your path in life will not be an easy one. The outside world will not be a friendly place for you…” – Master Splinter
The wonderful magic of Mutagenic Ooze is the gift that keeps on giving. Prepare to slip on your half-shell, grab your ninja weapon of choice and head out into the streets to battle the Foot in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shadows of the Past! Cowabungaaaaaaa! Oh, and don’t forget to order the pizza. It is game night after all!
From the Website: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shadows of the Past is a miniatures combat, scenario-driven campaign game that features story content from the IDW TMNT comic. Taking the role of their favorite Turtle or the ultimate villain Shredder, players battle their way through a series of 60-90 minute missions in which they develop their characters’ strengths, fighting styles, and equipment along the way to create a lasting story arc. Fan-favorite characters like Casey Jones and Alopex appear throughout the missions as the Turtles call on their closest allies for help in battling their deadliest foes. Designed by premiere game designer, Kevin Wilson (Descent, Arkham Horror) and featuring more than 40 sculpted miniatures, 12 unique maps and over 100 cards featuring all-new original artwork, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shadows of the Past is the definitive gaming experience.
From RTHG Staff (Brandon): We have “The Works” version of this game and the pizza box package alone is worth it for die hard Turtles fans. I honestly had no idea what to expect as I missed the kickstarter for this one though, as I mentioned above, being a Turtles fan I was ready to play once I saw it hit the table.
I have always gravitated toward Leonardo. Mike was just too much of a doofus to me, Don was way to smart for me to even try, and Raph was too much of brooding butthead. I sat down to Mike (ugh) however lucky for me RTHG Jo was gracious enough to trade characters with me (the cards were already placed when I arrived, but now I had Leo!) and then in turn she traded with RTHG Chip for Donatello who ended up with Mike.
Each of the turtles have their own schtick (Leader-Leo, Smart-Don, Nimble-Mike, Loner-Raph) and based on your rolls of 3 specific-to-Turtle dice for Leo, Mike and Don (6 dice for Raph who can’t use dice from the other three) you can share one die with the player to the left or right of you with the third only being usable by your Turtle. Each die face contributes to a ranged, melee, move or defense action through which you put the hurt on the Foot. The game is played out cooperatively through scenarios on boards that resemble the streets you see in the various forms of the IP. One person will play as the Foot with the remaining as our intrepid heroes.
We had a very good time with this one and came to the conclusion after our game that where you place your Turtles does really matter based on the scenario goals, especially if you have a cagey player controlling the Foot. Seating order seems to play a role too as there were a few times I as Leo could have benefited from Mike’s move granting die faces (I had Don and Raph on either side of me). The sharing of one individual die per player with the players next to you helps mitigate dice randomness some and allows for forming a small bit of strategy based on player abilities and special moves.
Get this game, order a pizza, watch your favorite Turtles movie or TV episode and then play a couple of scenarios of this game. Game night win!
Jo, Lucas and Chip give you a look at their Favorite 15 Miniature Games that they have put on the table! These are games where they really felt motivated to paint the miniatures AND play the game!
Preview of future, color battle, how you conquer, and don’t touch my cheese…
- Pandemic Legacy: Season 2: Excited about the upcoming second season of Pandemic? Of course you are! Z-Man knows this and has penned a preview of some of the ways you and your team can affect the world in Pandemic Legacy: Season 2. Delivering supplies to help keep mankind alive, and doing some recon to find various game resources to aid your cause will be a significant part of your mission. There is still no eta other than soon and you can pre-order the game now at your FLGS.
- RWBY Combat Ready: Arcane Wonders has partnered with Rooster Teeth of Red Vs Blue fame to bring one of anime’s highly popular series to a table near you! RWBY Combat Ready is now on kickstarter and is just about $45K from its original goal of $250K from funding after only 1 day (see, I told you it was popular!). The game aims to “…captures the flavor and excitement of the series, with fast-paced battles, where all players are actively involved and engaged at the same time.” It’s Arcane Wonder and Rooster Teeth so this game should be interesting and good. Currently 31 days to go.
- Sid Meier’s Civilization: A New Dawn: Fantasy Flight Games has a new primer up on the World Wonders in their upcoming title! As of now we know that the following wonders will be included: Chichen Itza, Kremlin, Alhambra, Estadio Do Maracana, Hanging Gardens, Petra, Venetian Arsenal, and the Pentagon. Check out the article to see more of what these structures can do for you on the road to glory. Oh, and obligatory nudge…more Alpha Centauri please!
- Ratland: The turtles aren’t the only ones to rule the sewers. Take control of your own rat clan and vie to become master of the sewers in Ratland! This new game is on kickstarter and has reached its original goal and is tunneling ahead through stretch goals. Gather cheese from various location and make your clan the most populous. Beware, there will be danger. Currently 35 days left.
Where the Rum is going, software update, Q&A&U, and populating the stars…
- Rum & Bones: Second Tide: CMON has updated their site with information on the new releases for Rum & Bones: Second Tide that will be available shortly. Upcoming are the Iron Inquisition, and the Hammers of Ragnarok expansions with the latter introducing the new Glory mechanic. Additionally the Mercenary Heroes Chest is incoming adding ten more heroes to choose from to crew your decks. All three boxes will be available at your FLGS and possibly your favorite e-store on September 29th!
- Android: Netrunner: FFG has released a rules update for Anroid: Netrunner and it is ready to be deployed to your gaming table. The NAPD Most Wanted List is now online and sports a number of changes intended to bolster the health of the overall game. This update includes both a Restricted and a Removed card sections so be sure to check it out if you play competitively or just like to know all the the things! This update goes into effect October 1, 2017.
- Fallout Wasteland Warfare: Fallout fans impatiently waiting on this game (*raises hand*) take note that Modiphius will be creating a video series where they answer questions submitted by fans. You need only post your questions on the appropriate facebook post (the link should take you there) and wait. Yep, the dreaded wait. Also of note is that additionally they will be creating a video play through to show you how the game works in detail!
- Starfinder Masterclass: If you have recently started playing Starfinder from Paizo and have lamented not having a large cache of Starfinder specific miniatures with which to carry out your adventuring then take a look at this. Ninja Division is kickstarting a line of those such miniatures and giving you a nice level of customization to boot! Based on your pledge level you can choose from a number of different hero, encounter pack, creature, and ship types to “slot” into the associated slots you get with said pledge level. This in addition to the base level iconic legendary race heroes and unlocked freebies. Certainly looks like a nice way to bolster your collection!
Hey folks and welcome to another Around The Table! This week we bring to your attention a site that will set the scene for the moments you decide to do tabletop battle. Battleboards is a UK based site that offers everything from 2D battlemats to 3D terrain which will allow you to create a high degree of fidelity to the setting in which you fight. They ship anywhere and produce pieces that range from historical to alternate realities. Looking at many of the pieces it is clear that a very high level of detail is put into making the pieces with frozen terrain pieces having icicles hanging from rock structures as an example. Battleboards also offers backdrops which you can hang on the wall behind your table terrain board and with some creative photography create movie quality battle scene pictures.