Fancy characters, MoO cards, Beyond here, and final countdown…
- Starfinder: The impending official release of Starfinder sees more official product finding its way out to entice us to just give Paizo our money. The Player Character Folio is now available bringing you expanded space for character information and stats, quick reference charts, extra tracking gear space, and more. A total of 16 pages to chronicle the life and times of your space faring persona. You can order from Paizo direct now and at your favorite e-store in a day or two, and at your FLGS soon.
- Master of Orion: Conquest: Studied fans of the 4X video gaming genre (eXplore, eXpand, eXploit, eXterminate) will immediately recognize the Master of Orion IP as being one of the foundation IP of said genre. Tabletop gaming fans that love 4Xs will be excited to hear of the joint endeavor of War Gaming Labs and Catalyst Game Labs to bring us Master of Orion: Conquest! MoO:C will be a dueling deckbuilding game and the reported first in a line of tabletop games based on the universe. Interested gamers heading to Gen Con will have a chance to check it out at he Catalyst booth.
- D&D Beyond: Dutiful reminder that D&D Beyond has officially launched today. It will be interesting to see how well it is received and what effect it will have as far as spurring other RPGs to follow suit.
- Gen Con 50: Additional reminder that Gen Gon 50 starts tomorrow. If you are going, I’m jealous. Have fun, be safe and game on!
Charge of the wight brigade, civilized board gaming, getting the gang back together, and 1st cons…
- Runewars Miniatures Game: Fantasy Flight Games has given us a look at the cavalry troops for the Waiqar army with an update on the Death Knights Unit Expansion box. This unit wielding one blue and two red attack dice when factoring their Impact keyword can dish out a respectable amount of damage. Their presence is something Waiqar commanders will take comfort in when facing the armored cavalry of those pesky Daqan military. This update also gives us a look at the Shield of Margath and the Obcasium’s Gauntlet, two items that will bolster your units and force your opponent to rethink engaging your Death Knights. Look for this expansion at your favorite e-store or FLGS in quarter 3, 2017.
- Sid Meier’s Civilization: A New Dawn: Fantasy Flight Games has also announced a new board game with the reveal of Sid Meier’s Civilization: A New Dawn! This version presents players with an undiscovered land to conquer and gives them various agenda goals to accomplish that help push them toward domination. Folks familiar with the CIV games will find many of the multiple avenues toward victory you’d expect as well as the technology race that partly defines the CIV series. Look for this game to hit retailers in quarter 4, 2017.
- Necromunda: Necromunda is truly coming back this time with the latest announcement from Games Workshop! The starter box will have the rulebook, templates and basics needed to play to include a starting Escher gang as well as a Goliath gang. Very interested to see the updates to the miniatures, especially the Van Saar! Currently no eta on this new new release.
- HASCON: Hasbro is launching their first gaming convention this year with HASCON which will run from September 8-10, 2017. Tickets are now available so if you are near to Providence, Rhode Island or have wanted another excuse to travel to the region now is your chance. The con will allows goers a chance to play many of Hasbro’s games of all genre, and there will be a significant Wizards presence showcasing Dungeons & Dragons 5E, in particular the Tomb of Annihilation related material. The con will be (intend to be) kid friendly/family friendly with youngsters 2 and under having free admission. Additionally kids aged 3-15 can have an opportunity to audition for a Hasbro commercial.
The fourth Imperium, deserted outposts, who you gonna call, and get ready for a surprise…
- Twilight Imperium Fourth Edition: Galactic conquerors rejoice! Fantasy Flight Games has announced the fourth iteration of the evening empire in Twilight Imperium Fourth Edition. This edition celebrates the 20th anniversary of the game and comes with a limited content pre-order program which nets you the game’s rulebooks bound together in hardback that will have expanded fiction and content, and also two limited edition 11″x 17″ art prints with 20th anniversary commemorative branding. You can pre-order now (and if you want the swag you better go now) at your FLGS or the FFG store and the game will release later in the 4th quarter of 2017.
- Pathfinder: More often than not on Golarion there is always something keeping paradise from being just that! The newest adventure path The Lost Outpost is just such another trip that starts out with illusions of grandeur and when you arrive you are left wondering what the heck happened. Gather your crew and prepare to set out to solve the case of where the heck did the whole colony of Talmandor’s Bounty go in this kick off of the Ruins of Azlant Adventure Path. Perfect excuse to roll/role that new character!
- Ghostbusters: The Board game II: “If there’s somethin’ strange in the neighborhood
Who ya gonna call (ghostbusters)”! Cryptozoic Entertainment along with Ghost Corps and Sony Pictures Consumer Products have announced the imminent release of Ghostbusters: The Board Game II coming this August 23rd! Battle Vigo’s army, Mood Slime, and a host of other obstacles while protecting the big apple from the paranormal. What could be better? Well, on September 20th this stand alone expansion will get two expansions of its own with the Louis Tully Plazm Phenomenon: Expansion Pack (who doesn’t LOVE Rick Moranis!!), and the Slimer Sea Fright: Expansion Pack. Teamwork will be key and remember, bustin’ makes you feel good!
- Total Recall: The Official Tabletop Game: Nineteen days to go and nearly halfway to its funding goal is Total Recall: The Official Tabletop Game from Overworld Games! This title looks to capture much fidelity of the late 1990s movie while tasking players to compete as a member of the Federal Colony or the Rebel faction to take out the opposing factions leader and secure the Mars Colony for their side. The game also sports some “NSFW Cards” so it may not be one for the kids to check out. Age appropriate fans of the movie, however, may want to push/pledge this one over the goal.
In the stands, Imperial rules, lonely dice, and tell your tales…
- Starfinder: Not looking forward to rushing to paint a bunch of miniatures to get ready for your upcoming Starfinder games? You’re in luck as Paizo has released the Core Rulebook Pawn Collection! What is this you ask? It is a a collection of 100 cardstock standees with bases that depict various denizens of the Starfinder universe. Also included are 15 cardstock standees showing various spaceships that players may use/encounter in their adventures. You can acquire your own copy at your FLGS or favorite e-store today and the PDF version will be available starting August 17th.
- Star Wars Rebellion: The new rules additions for the upcoming Rise of the Empire Expansion are now available to download and become familiar with ahead of the official release! You’ll have a chance to learn more about the new Subversion mission and how it affects gameplay in time for the the end of this month when you will be able to purchase a copy. Long live the Empire!
- Lone Wolf Adventure Game: Fans of LWAG rejoice as there are now appropriately themed dice with the release of the Deluxe Dice Set from Q Workshop! Head on over to the C7 store and pick up a set as they look ready to roll. Note, this author can not guarantee a favorable turn in your dice rolling luck.
- Vampire: The Maquerade: Coming soon is a program from White Wolf that will allow players of the Vampire: The Masquerade RPG to contribute content for the system that they’d like to share with other players. The program will provide official looking templates into which you insert your content with the effect of it looking like official on the shelf V:TM ip product. Additionally the Storytellers Vault, as it is called, will allow those contributing to sell their works for a small bit of the profit. The official website is not up as of this posting though the site is supposed to go live sometime this month (August).
Flexible magi, have painting skill will travel, parking dinosaurs, and delivery may be futile…
- Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: The newest class deck is out and it provides your beloved spell slingers with a bit more flexibility. The Magus Class Deck offers three new characters that shed the trope of wiggly fingers and cold steel not mixing by doing just so. No longer is that glowing magical sword+2 solely the province of the mundane! Look for this expansion at your favorite e-store or FLGS today.
- Modiphius Entertainment: Modiphius is looking for a few good miniature painting artists! Primary work seems to be for miniatures for their upcoming Fallout: Wasteland Warfare as well as their Star Trek Adventure games. Interested artists are encouraged to email Modiphius at email@example.com writing “FAO Jon” in the subject line. Your email should include high res shots of your work as well as your rates. Don’t worry about your location as they are looking for remote artists.
- Dinogenics: Those of us that have watched Jurassic Park and thought “I can run that park much better than they did” will get a shot to prove it. Well, providing the kickstarter for Ninth Haven Games’ Dinogenics fully funds that is! Dinogenics puts players in the role of a dinosaur park operator/owner competing with other owners to create the best park. Players send their minions out to collect DNA from which they seed their park with dinosaur attractions. Note, it wouldn’t be a proper park if the dinosaurs didn’t try to free themselves and make meals of your employees and customers! Dinogenics is roughly 1/5 of the way to their goal with 28 days to go.
- Star Trek: Ascendancy: Gale Force Nine has recently announced that hot on the heels of the Cardassians and Ferengi showing up will be the Borg (hopefully). The two aforementioned expansion factions are reportedly shipping to customers and stores as the GF9 crew leaves for Gen Con 50 which starts next Thursday (17th). A preview of the Borg will be at Gen Con 50.
Totally nuclear, elemental control, twofer for D&D, and in the name of the princess…
- Fallout: The Board Game: Awesome news (for me anyway!!) today from Fantasy Flight Games with the announcement of Fallout: The Board Game. Having played all of the computer game iterations of this IP I am super happy to see the recent love it is getting on the table-top front. Now if Bethesda will get off their rumps and make the MMORPG I’d bet set. This game sounds as though it captures the IP’s spirit in that players “will face a wealth of choices, deciding whether to pursue experience or Caps, collect loot or loyal companions, and progress the main questline or veer off to the vaults.” There is also what looks like a hefty dose of faction politics as well. The miniatures look great, the board looks great (hexagonal tiles that you flip to explore)…day one purchase! Fallout: The Board Game will be at a retailer near you in quarter 4, 2017.
- Pathfinder: There is a new handbook out for Pathfinder that will allow you to to gain even more powerful returns from your grasp of the four. The Elemental Master’s Handbook offers more archetypes and character options for those with elemental affinity as well as introducing the genie binder prestige class that will have all the genies calling you master! You can find this handbook at your favorite e-store or FLGS with a PDF version becoming available on August 17th.
- Dungeons & Dragons 5: The Tomb of Annihilation is all the rage recently and the folks at Wizards figured you are going to need some appropriately themed dice to go along with your delving. Coming soon are Tomb of Annihilation Dice which are a light green colored full dice set that have a likewise tinted dice tin that will retail for $19.95 (US)/$25.95 (Canadian). Look for these starting September 19, 2017. Also, for those of you that are partaking of D&D Beyond there is a nifty update that will settle long standing disputes! Now added on the details page of monsters and races is an audio icon that you can click to hear the proper pronunciation of said creature’s name. And the wave of “I was right” is palpable.
- Unicornus Knights: Available for pre-order now from Alderac Entertainment Group is the english version of the Japanese game Unicornus Knights! Players take up the role of heroes intent on restoring Cornelia to the throne of Astoria after a hostile invading force utterly destroyed Astoria’s forces and claimed their lands. They will gather resources and build forces in order to oust enemy generals to set the stage for a final showdown between the princess and the enemy emperor. Unicornus Knights will go on sale at Gen Con next week and it will be at your FLGS on August 16, 2017.
Draconic narrative, man cows, faring in space, and fantasy fire fighters…
- Legacy of Dragonholt: Hot out of the gaming think tank at Fantasy Flight Games is a new Narrative Adventure Game set in the Runebound universe called Legacy of Dragonholt. The game allows one to six players to build a character and take them through a story where they make critical choices that have an immediate and long term effect. Dragonholt is the first game from Fantasy Flight Games to use their Oracle System and will be available in quarter 4, 2017!
- Blood Bowl: Chosen, Renegade, and Chaos Dwarf players rejoice: The Minotaur will be making his way to a pitch near you soon! Additionally the Underworld Denizens and Chaos Renegades will be able to pretty up their sidelines with faction specific coins in the near future. No guarantees your lucky will change!
- Gaia Project: Z-Man Games has announced a follow-up to their game Terra Mystica with the upcoming Gaia Project. Players take on the role as a leader of one of fourteen civilizations that have recently gained a method to traverse from planet to planet. Having such ability and possessing a planetary green thumb, their civilization sets out to explore and settle the many wondrous planets of the galaxy. Colonize planets, build strategic structures and form federations of the planets you control as you march toward galactic victory! Gaia Project will be arriving soon.
- The Brigade: You like ogres, elves and dwarves? You get a kick out of putting out fires? We have the game for you. The Brigade from Red Genie Games is currently on kickstarter and is set to allow you to act out your civil servant dreams in a high fantasy setting. Players take on the role of one of the games Fire Wardens and proceed to put together their dream fire vanquishing crew. Then, you guessed it, they go about the work of keeping the hamlet of Tindebox fire free. The Brigade has met its original goal and is working through stretch goals with 23 days to go.
Latari ronin, Portal hugs your FLGS, and HALT!…
- Runewars Miniatures Game: A new troop type comes to the field of battle for the Latari Elves in the form of the Darnati Warriors Unit Expansion! These hermetic warriors roam Latari lands becoming one with their two handed swords until the call of battle is sounded. They then form units and join their fellow Latari to defend against all that would invade the Aymhelin Forest. Their three blue die melee attack gives them a high probability to get that Surge result to trigger their Lethal 1 keyword meaning more hits! Look for the Darnati Warriors this coming 4th quarter of 2017.
- Portal Games: If you are a fan of Portal Games then you need to make sure your FLGS knows this news. Portal has announced its Retailer Support Program with a goal to “…grow a local fan base, support gaming communities and give players more chances to meet other gamers through gaming events – and thus ensure, they will return to your shop.” That is an all around good thing as the experience of a well run FLGS with a solid, helpful, fun-loving community is a thing most gamers cherish and way too many don’t have. If you’ve never played a game for which the designers backed it with events and such, it certainly enhances the overall experience of playing the game with others. Then there is also the getting your hands on games before many others. So go, ply your FLGS owner with tribute and get them to sign up!
- Who Goes There?: Ever saw the movie The Thing? That movie seriously creeped me out. Well, Certifiable Studios has made a board game based on the book that inspired The Thing called Who Goes There that is on kickstarter. It’s a survival game where you play the different characters from the book and you have to gather equipment, sometime fashioning it into new items, that will allow you to combat the various threats around you. You have to venture out to secure the items you need, but that leaves you vulnerable to those dangers and, The Thing! There are 8 more days left to back the game so if check it out, if you dare.
Anti-social heroes, and a gathering of frogs…
- Runebound (Third Edition): A new expansion is available in the form of Unbreakable Bonds for Runebound 3rd. This expansion forces the normally solo inclined heroes of Terrinoth to band together to face a threat greater than they could handle individually. It also introduces the new heroes Eliam (duel wielding rogue) and Tatianna (bow using huntress). You can find a copy of this expansion at your FLGS or preferred e-store today!
- Flying Frog Productions: Attention all you fans of Flying Frog Productions games. FFP has announced DiceFest 2017 which will be “…two days of Flying Frog games, events, contests, tournaments, panels, and previews!” This event will be held in Redmond, WA from October 28-29. Being that close to Halloween I would imagine creatively themed costumes will be in order! Order your passes prior to August 31st and receive a discounted price (which the remainder can be used toward that upgrade to a first class on your flight!!!).
Eaves and screens, iron horse banditry, all you need, and a small debut…
- Adventures in Middle-earth: Loremasters are getting a nice accessory in the form of the Eaves of Mirkwood & Loremaster’s Screen. This pack contains a four panel Loremaster’s screen, a 32-page adventure, six pre-generated characters, and a list of suggestions for the Warden and Scholar classes. The PDF will be available sometime this month (5 days left!) and the hard copy version can be expected this October!
- Train Heist: Saddle up! Train Heist from Cryptozoic Entertainment has now officially broken out of jail and is right to rob a few trains! ‘Course those trains need robbin’, ya see, on a count that evil sheriff and his “respectable” buddies have been stealing the hard earned money of the townsfolk. Time to get it back! You can find Train Heist at your FLGS or favorite e-store. Go on, git!
- Carcassonne Big Box 2017: The folks at Z-Man Games have announced the 2017 Carcassonne Big Box! This version will include Inns & Cathedrals, Traders & Builders, The Abbot, The River, The Flying Machines, The Ferries, The Messengers, The Gold Mines, Mage & Witch, The Robbers, and The Crop Circles. If you have been waiting to get into Carcassonne this box is certainly a very good way to do it.
- Gamelyn Games: More goodies for those of you going to Gen Con 50! Gamelyn has announced that copies of the Deluxe version of Tiny Epic Quest will be on sale at their booth (3027) on the show floor. Deluxe versions of other games will be available as well. Additionally there will be a “…near production copy…” of Heroes of Land, Air & Sea for your viewing pleasure.