Latari ronin, Portal hugs your FLGS, and HALT!…
- Runewars Miniatures Game: A new troop type comes to the field of battle for the Latari Elves in the form of the Darnati Warriors Unit Expansion! These hermetic warriors roam Latari lands becoming one with their two handed swords until the call of battle is sounded. They then form units and join their fellow Latari to defend against all that would invade the Aymhelin Forest. Their three blue die melee attack gives them a high probability to get that Surge result to trigger their Lethal 1 keyword meaning more hits! Look for the Darnati Warriors this coming 4th quarter of 2017.
- Portal Games: If you are a fan of Portal Games then you need to make sure your FLGS knows this news. Portal has announced its Retailer Support Program with a goal to “…grow a local fan base, support gaming communities and give players more chances to meet other gamers through gaming events – and thus ensure, they will return to your shop.” That is an all around good thing as the experience of a well run FLGS with a solid, helpful, fun-loving community is a thing most gamers cherish and way too many don’t have. If you’ve never played a game for which the designers backed it with events and such, it certainly enhances the overall experience of playing the game with others. Then there is also the getting your hands on games before many others. So go, ply your FLGS owner with tribute and get them to sign up!
- Who Goes There?: Ever saw the movie The Thing? That movie seriously creeped me out. Well, Certifiable Studios has made a board game based on the book that inspired The Thing called Who Goes There that is on kickstarter. It’s a survival game where you play the different characters from the book and you have to gather equipment, sometime fashioning it into new items, that will allow you to combat the various threats around you. You have to venture out to secure the items you need, but that leaves you vulnerable to those dangers and, The Thing! There are 8 more days left to back the game so if check it out, if you dare.
Join Chip, Jo, and Lucas for Roll To Hit Gaming’s first Board Game Battle Royal where we pit two board game heavyweights against each other that have a similar theme! We’ll help you figure out which of the two is your undisputed champ!
Join Lucas to hear his after action review of Windup War by Jessica Chu, Katie Khau, and Bellwether Games! Will this title have what it takes to be battle ready for your table?
Anti-social heroes, and a gathering of frogs…
- Runebound (Third Edition): A new expansion is available in the form of Unbreakable Bonds for Runebound 3rd. This expansion forces the normally solo inclined heroes of Terrinoth to band together to face a threat greater than they could handle individually. It also introduces the new heroes Eliam (duel wielding rogue) and Tatianna (bow using huntress). You can find a copy of this expansion at your FLGS or preferred e-store today!
- Flying Frog Productions: Attention all you fans of Flying Frog Productions games. FFP has announced DiceFest 2017 which will be “…two days of Flying Frog games, events, contests, tournaments, panels, and previews!” This event will be held in Redmond, WA from October 28-29. Being that close to Halloween I would imagine creatively themed costumes will be in order! Order your passes prior to August 31st and receive a discounted price (which the remainder can be used toward that upgrade to a first class on your flight!!!).
Eaves and screens, iron horse banditry, all you need, and a small debut…
- Adventures in Middle-earth: Loremasters are getting a nice accessory in the form of the Eaves of Mirkwood & Loremaster’s Screen. This pack contains a four panel Loremaster’s screen, a 32-page adventure, six pre-generated characters, and a list of suggestions for the Warden and Scholar classes. The PDF will be available sometime this month (5 days left!) and the hard copy version can be expected this October!
- Train Heist: Saddle up! Train Heist from Cryptozoic Entertainment has now officially broken out of jail and is right to rob a few trains! ‘Course those trains need robbin’, ya see, on a count that evil sheriff and his “respectable” buddies have been stealing the hard earned money of the townsfolk. Time to get it back! You can find Train Heist at your FLGS or favorite e-store. Go on, git!
- Carcassonne Big Box 2017: The folks at Z-Man Games have announced the 2017 Carcassonne Big Box! This version will include Inns & Cathedrals, Traders & Builders, The Abbot, The River, The Flying Machines, The Ferries, The Messengers, The Gold Mines, Mage & Witch, The Robbers, and The Crop Circles. If you have been waiting to get into Carcassonne this box is certainly a very good way to do it.
- Gamelyn Games: More goodies for those of you going to Gen Con 50! Gamelyn has announced that copies of the Deluxe version of Tiny Epic Quest will be on sale at their booth (3027) on the show floor. Deluxe versions of other games will be available as well. Additionally there will be a “…near production copy…” of Heroes of Land, Air & Sea for your viewing pleasure.
It’s hump day and time for another introduction on Around The Table! This week we share with you a company based in England that is a family affair producing high quality gaming accessories. Harps Corp makes hero boxes, deck boxes, dice towers and trays, dice boxes, and gaming tables. One item they produce of particular note are 2D Dungeon boxes. The boxes come in a small (96 figures) or large (171 figures) variation and contain 2D versions of miniatures of creatures and npcs you would encounter in a fantasy based RPG. Very neat!
Winter has come, it takes a village, red September?/October?/November?, and game store talk…
- A Song of Ice & Fire: Tabletop Miniatures Game: The game is now live on kickstarter and within a few hours has now passed its minimum funding goal of $300K! It has also made all four stretch goals (Sandor Clegane ($325K), Maege Mormont ($350K), Guard Captain ($375K), and Sworn Sword Captain ($400K)…and looks to keep blowing through goals as they are added) and I assume (hope) there will be more stretch goals planned with more troop types and characters. Currently there is one kickstarter exclusive in the Non-Combat Unit (NCU) The High Seneschal which is a Mercenary unit that can serve any faction. Personally hope to see a Dorne faction soon!
- Pathfinder: Coming soon for your RPG gaming delight a new map pack that allows your group to truly visualize the aesthetics of that small hamlet you are stopping in for the night on your way to big mighty dungeon! Village Sites has 18 map tiles that include in their number a pub, a cottage, a warehouse, and a fountain that allow you to mix and match and set the exact scenery you want. Pre-order is available now with PDF version expected to arrive August 17th and hopefully the hard copy version soon after.
- Sonar: Asmodee has recently announced a “family version” of Captain Sonar titled Sonar which is to be exclusively sold at Target stores for now. The game intends to capture the excitement of Captain Sonar in pitting two teams against each other in a “Hunt for Red October” cat and mouse underwater duel yet pare down the number of players needed to play. Sonar teams consist of only two positions: Captain and Radio Operator (leaving out the Chief-Mate and Engineer from the original). Look for Sonar at a Target near you coming this fall.
- Portal Games: Want to open a brick and mortar game store? Have one already and interested in some good advice? Heading to Gen Con 50? Well, you’re in luck! Ignacy Trzewiczek from Portal games will be on hand with a seminar talking about his experience running a B&M in this e-store age. Getting insights from one of board gaming’s leading figures about how to garner success…especially if you are going to gen Con anyway…is a no-brainer if running a game store well is your goal.
Viewing before, perceiving the past, version revisions, small announcement, and about freaking time…
- Fantasy Flight Games: Monday brings us a couple of previews from FFG for Runewars Miniatures Game, and X-Wing Miniatures Game. First up is a look at the Deepwood Archers Unit Expansion for the Latari Elves who hold up to existing wood elf tropes. Unparalleled archers, they possess the ability to make a Speed-1 move after a ranged attack (provided they are not locked in combat) and with their Precise 1 keyword they get the effect of treating their attacking dice as if having one more full rank tray! The expansion also has upgrades that make these glass cannons a little less glassy as well. Next is an update showing the new Starviper upgrades from the upcoming Guns For Hire Expansion Pack for X-Wing. This expansion is a much needed shot in the arm for two ships (the StarViper and the Kihraxz) that very rarely get played even casually. Will it fix them completely? Doubtful. Looking at some of these upgrades, though, it should certainly bring them out of most players storage bins. Can pre-order now, probably see these at/right after Gen Con and Nova.
- Sherlook: A new game of high speed sleuthing is on the way from Cool Mini Or Not and Kaleidos Games! Sherlook dresses players as expert crime scene detectives and tests their powers of observation. You arrive at the crime scene, give it a preliminary once over. Pausing for a moment to speak with an officer, you look back to see the scene disturbed by an inept beat cop! Players will have two photos from a crime scene laid before them for which they will need to determine the differences between the them. Guess the number closest to the total differences and score! Look for Sherlook on July 28 at your FLGS or e-store of choice.
- Talisman: Revised 4th Edition: Games Workshop has given a rough estimate of when you should be able to get your hands on a copy of Talisman: The Magical Quest Game (Revised 4th Edition). While I’m not sure it’ll fit as a stocking stuffer (unless you have special stockings!) so it just may be one of the wrapped gifts you receive around Christmas. The Portal of Power approaches!
- Tiny Epic Defenders: Gamelyn has advised that they are now out of copies of Tiny Epic Defenders. Boo! They have also advised they will be launching a kickstarter for the next edition “… featuring all new art and graphic design along with a full box expansion THE DARK WAR.” Huzzah!! More information to come soon®.
- Star Trek Ascendancy: Better late than never! Gale Force Nine has announced this past weekend that the Cardassian Union and Ferengi Alliance expansions for their Star Trek Ascendancy game are nearly in the hands of players. The entire print run should be on a plane to their (GF9’s) distribution centers by weeks end and they “will get them out as soon as they land.” This means you could see them in August folks. The game would surely benefit from the addition of these two factions at the table (three way games almost always see one player getting piled on). Having been one of the many that picked this up at Gen Con a year ago and expecting their (GF9’s) by year’s end claim for these two additions I was a bit miffed, as were others, at the delays and lack of communication (and pushing of other titles). Here’s hoping folks will begrudgingly still support Ascendancy as I’d hate to see interest in Star Trek board games take a hit over issues that weren’t IP related.
Sometimes in the pursuit of gaming happiness you run across the road block of not having anyone else available to play. Lucas gives us a Solo Play look at the game The Pursuit of Happiness by Adrian Abela and David Chircop from Artipia & Stronghold Games. Remember, in Solo Play if you don’t find happiness you have only yourself to blame!
Far far away news, hobgoblin conclusion, the olde world, and creative green players…
- Fantasy Flight Games: Couple of views from upcoming release from within the Star Wars IP by FFG in Star Wars: Destiny and Star Wars: Rebellion! The Destiny update gives us a look at the new Red characters from the Empire at War expansion that is due out the third quarter of this year. We also get a look at some of the new units from the Rise of the Empire expansion for Rebellion which has a whopping 36 minis in the box! Currently there is no firm date on its anticipated arrival.
- Pathfinder RPG: The conclusion of the Ironfang Adventure Path is here with the release of the Vault of the Onyx Citadel. Fear not if you have enjoyed the ride thus far as included suggestions for continuing the campaign beyond the end of this story arc! Hobgoblins for all seasons!
- Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 2nd Ed.: Cubicle 7 Entertainment, in light of there 4th edition of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, invites gamers new and old to check out the 2nd edition of the game which are now available in PDF form via drivethrurpg.com and rpgnow.com.
- Robinson Crusoe: Those of castaways that fancy yourself a bit creative might be interested in the contest currently going on with Portal. The Design Your Own Adventure contest if about halfway over (so get to it, you have this weekend!!) and the lucky winner will receive a free Portal game!