Hello folks and welcome to this week’s Around The Table! This week we take a look at Broken Egg Games where you will find many different options to upgrade your board gaming and your table top war gaming experiences. Some of the items you will find are gaming trays (look to be geared for tournament play), adventure tiles, gaming tokens, and assorted other terrain. They also offer custom make services.
From Terrinoth to the Outer Rim, zombie kickoff, and Pathfinder hears the Call…
- Fantasy Flight Games: Two updates from FFG today that should have fans attentive! The Guns For Hire expansion pack for the Scum and Villainy faction has been announced for X-Wing Miniatures Game. This box has special paint job editions of the Starviper and Kihraxz Fighter as well as, and most importantly, new pilots! Currently these two ships aren’t seen that often in the competitive scene so lets hope these new pilot and upgrade cards change that as they look awesome! Also we have a preview of the Aymhelin Scions for the Latavi Elves faction in Runewars. These treefolk move in unison with their elven mates in order to stop the incursions of the Daqan and Waiqar intruders.
- Zombicide: Green Horde: Just a reminder that the kickstarter for this is up and running! Currently it has more than funded (over 3 times goal) and is rolling…er…shambling on!
- Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Those of you that enjoy Pathfinder RPG and also Cthulhu, rejoice! Sandy Peterson and Paizo have collaborated and to bring forth this child that is Sandy Peterson’s Cthulhu Mythos for Pathfinder RPG! This campaign setting (essentially) will contain just about all you need to bring that Lovecraft touch to any of the worlds your currently play in. This book is currently available for pre-order!
Lucas breaks open the new expansion for Tiny Epic Galaxies: Beyond The Black! Join him as he explores the reaches of this expansion for Tiny Epic Galaxies!
Make it resin, the grim darkness of a board game box, and England doesn’t expect them…
- Star Trek Adventures: The folks at Modiphius have given us a peek at the upcoming miniatures for their game Star Trek Adventures. The lineup includes Crusher, Riker, La Forge, Yar, Troi, Worf, Picard and Data all in various action poses in 32mm resin. If you are interested in getting in on the pre-order for these you are urged to sign up on their website for notification of when it begins.
- Warhammer 40K Heroes of Black Reach: Games Workshop has partnered up with Devil Pig Games (Heroes of Normandy) to give the universe of Warhammer 40K the HoN treatment. Heroes of Black Reach is set to debut on June 19 and looks to be yet another massive engagement between the Ultramarines and the Space Orks. Fear denies Faith!
- The War of the Worlds: A new kickstarter from Dan Verssen Games challenges you to save England from a Martian incursion. The War of the Worlds is a solitaire board game in which Martian Tripods square off against your British Colonial era forces. This kickstarter is just under half way funded so if it sounds like your cup of tea go help it get over the funded line. Remember, England expects everyone to do their duty!
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. ~Carl Sagan”
Indeed imagination is a large part of the catalyst that drives us to play the board games we so much enjoy. This weeks Game Time Decision, Eclipse: New Dawn for the Galaxy, hurtles players into the vastness of space and challenges us to forge an empire.
From the Website: Eclipse is the first international superhit from Lautapelit.fi. It’s a massice civilizations building game set in space, where players try to lead their own race to a dominant role in the galaxy.
From RTHG Staff (Brandon): So I made a confession to the other RTHG staff the other week that I’m a sucker for space operas to which they replied “Yeah, we know, next”. I’m full of captain obvious moments by the way. It will come as no shock, then, that when deciding what to play for our second game of the night when they suggested Eclipse and I saw the box art I was all in.
Eclipse is a game for up to 6 players. Each player gets a faction card that is double sided with the “entry level” side having varying factions of humans and the opposite side having all very distinct non-human races. Replay value is highly coveted by me when it comes to games. Big plus.
Your individual game board contains your population pieces (aligned along 3 tracks that correspond to different types of “currency”), your 4 types of space craft (3 ships, small to large, and a space station), and your influence tracker (using the tokens here increases your per turn operating costs). There is also a central game board that houses the tokens for three different research tracks from which you can advance your civilization. It also houses a sizable area for ship upgrades as well.
The game is played over 9 turns where you use influence tokens to claim regions of space (which you have to explore for and are represented by hexagonal tiles) and then place your population counters on available planets in that sector. There is a bit of a balancing act as not all tiles have suitable planets and gong into negative income is bad…very bad. A combination of point values for the hexagonal sectors plus values from items you find when you explore/claim a sector (which can be used for victory points or in most cases adds currency or a ship upgrade) plus some savvy game play determines the victor.
If you enjoy Twilight Imperium, or the idea of Twilight Imperium, but don’t have that many hours to play, Eclipse is certainly a title that can scratch a bit of that itch.
Rings and runners, arigato D&D, not the second or third, and back to the Spain…
- Fantasy Flight Games: Released today are two expansions for the Lord of the Rings LCG and the Android: Netrunner LCG. The Beneath the Sands adventure pack finds your heroes in the desert (again) tasked with saving some of your traveling companions who have been kidnapped and taken beneath the sands. All manner of deadly creatures await in defiance of your attempt! The Earth’s Scion data pack brings into question the relationship between Mars and Earth and the latter’s continued exploitation of the former. How much longer until the Clans decide they’ve truly had enough and declare liberty or death?
- Gale Force Nine: The translation of Dungeons & Dragon 5th Edition rolls forward as GF9 has announced a partnership with Hobby Japan to bring a Japanese language version to market. Currently they are targeting October, November and December for release months beginning with the Player’s Handbook, and then the Starter Set. Following will be the Monster’s Manual, and then the Dungeon Master’s Guide and accessories out in time for Christmas.
- Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: If you have a love for all things fey then Paizo has an update for you! Just released is the Legacy of the First World player companion which allows your characters to further explore their bonds with nature. Enclosed are options for worshiping the Eldest, racial options for both gnomes and gathlains, and also more magic items, feats, archetypes, and other fey inspired options. The print edition is is available today and the pdf version will be up on May 31st.
- T.I.M.E. Stories: Asmodee has placed a sneak peak of two characters you may encounter/inhabit in the upcoming expansion Lumen Fidei for T.I.M.E. Stories by Space Cowboys. This mission sends your team back to Reconquista Spain and while the details of your mission are still murky we know that you will have the option of choosing of working as Ramon or Francisco. Pauper or Papal Legate’s retinue, choose wisely!
Change in distribution, new roleplaying warhammers, and return of the torg…
- Cool Mini or Not: Continuing with the business side of things CMON has announced today they are adopting a unilateral Minimum Advertised Pricing Policy (MAPP) as well as a restructuring of their distribution network. The MAPP will go into effect on June 1, 2017 and will place a minimum price for all CMON products sold by their distribution network and retail vendors. The list of distributors, as of May 24th, will now include Alliance Game Distributors., ACD Distribution, and Peachstate Hobby Distribution. Currently there is no word on what exactly those prices will be, and they will surely fluctuate from game to game.
- Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay: A new edition of WFRP is in the works! As the partnership between Games Workshop and Fantasy Flight Games is no more it was only a matter of time before an new partnership for WFRP was settled. GW has partnered with Cubicle 7 Entertainment to produce the new edition which it slated to take cues from the first two editions, and should grace the market later this year!
- TORG Eternity: TORG fans set your favorite reminder device of choice for May 31, 2017. Ulisses North America will launch a kickstarter for Torg Eternity. We’re getting the old Storm Knight band back together!
Keeping with a wood theme this week on Around The Table we take you to a website that specializes in producing furniture that functions normally and then seamlessly morphs into a gaming space. Geek Chic is a website where you can find heirloom quality gaming tables, gaming accessories, seating, and comic storage options. Their goal is to perpetuate the “Geek Chic Lifestyle” which ultimately seems to come down to gamers can and should have nice gaming things. We agree.
Lucas gives his final thoughts about Coldwater Crown from Bellwether Games. Will this game measure up as one of the few games you should keep in your gaming livewell?
A girl and her beast, off we go, more weird beasts, and stealing what’s best…
- Runewars Miniatures Game: Keeping with announcing goodies for this new tabletop war game Fantasy Flight Games gives us a preview of the upcoming Latari Elves’ expansion leader Aliana of Summersong! Mounted on her Leonx, Wildcall, she looks the part of formidable forest champion. One of Aliana’s key abilities offers the wily tactical option of redeploying one of your units of Leonx Riders units after setup, an act that is sure to have your opponents lamenting the final positioning of your fast moving cavalry. The Latari Elves Army Expansion, in which she is included, is available for pre-order today.
- Pathfinder Flip-Mat: Paizo has released a new Flip-Mat that takes you up, up, up and away! The Airship Flip-Mat, coming is at 24″ x 30″ unfolded, is now available and should make for an interesting location in which to stage an adventure in Pathfinder RPG.
- Lone Wolf Adventure Game: Coming in soon for the Lone Wolf Adventure Game is a new source book chock full all sorts of beasts and baddies. The Bestiary of Beyond will bring forth many new adversaries for your Kai Lords to battle. The landscape of Magnamund is becoming even more dangerous. Be wary!
- Conan: Adventures in an Age Undreamed Of: The first full source book for this roleplaying game in the form of Conan the Thief is now available in pdf form for purchase with the hard copy form slated for a release this summer. Conan the Thief promises to take you fully into the underworld of Hyborian Age and immerse you into the shadowy world of rogues and assassins. This book contains new archetypes, talents, equipment, a heist generator, and many other resources to fill out your underworld.